Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 8: What I'm Thankful For

Day 8: Today I'm thankful for all of my grandparents.

Both my grandpas passed away when I was young, but they were both wonderful men whom I loved very much. I treasure every memory I have of them. The way my grandpa used to laugh and laugh, and my granddaddy sleeping peacefully while I combed his hair are some of my more precious memories.

I got to spend a lot more time with my grandma, the Honorable Nell Soto. She was an incredible woman who showed me that with enough courage and determination, anyone can impact their community. As a local politician, assemblywoman, and then state senator, she did whatever she could to better her community and to fight for those who couldn't fight for themselves. She was an incredible inspiration to me, as well as the rest of her numerous grandchildren. When she passed away in February of 2009, it saddened us greatly, but knowing she could be with her husband and son again also brought me joy.


My Grandmother Hope, though far away, has always been one of the sweetest, kindest people I have ever met. She may be making her way to 90, but she still keeps her garden, mows her own yard, and regularly attends church. I always love hearing about family history on my mother's side, and about "the farm", and the days my mother's family spent there when she was younger. Distance keeps us apart most of the time, but when we get together we can't help but sing a few hymns with my mom. Those moments are incredibly sweet to me :)
Carolina Beach, NC, 2009
I'm also very thankful for my new grandparents, Mary and Jerry Ladrach, and Jim and Denise Belcher. While I haven't gotten the opportunity to get to know Jim and Denise very well yet, they have been very warm and welcoming so far, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better. Because Adam was living with Mary and Jerry when we first started dating, I got to know them a little better. Every time we go visit they're quick to offer a smile and klondike bar, and are always a pleasure to be around. They have been there for us from the beginning, tolerating my late comings and goings from their home, and always treating me like family. They, like Adam's parents, have been very generous to us in as we try to become established in this new life. If there's a tool we need to borrow, they got it. If we have a problem, they know the solution. If I have a hankering for brownies, chances are Mary has just baked some and already has a bag for us to take home. Mary and Jerry are so wonderful, and I know the coming years will be more fun with them around :)
Mary and Jerry
More than 50 years together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment