Saturday, December 7, 2013

Days 21-26: What I'm Thankful For

Well, we're already into December, but I'm almost caught up and I still have so much to be thankful for! 

Here we go!

Day 21: Day 21: Michelle Hamstra is one person I am eternally grateful for. As one of my college roommates, she was always there to lend an ear or a helping hand when I needed it. Never hesitating to tell me to "PUT THE BUBBLES DOWN!" while I was failing at studying, Michelle has always been such a good influence on me. Not only did she keep me on task (a feat in itself!), but she also put up with my random attack cuddles, puppet shows, and other shenanigans during her study time. Michelle is one of the most selfless people I know, and was always 100% willing to help me out with whatever I needed. In the harsh social jungle of college, Michelle was always the master of making everyone feel welcomed, invited, and included. I was so happy that she agreed to stand with me on my wedding day, and I know that she'll continue to stand with me throughout our lives :) Love you, Meshell!
Isn't she lovely? :)
Day 22: I've decided to continue going along with the theme of my bridesmaids, since I'm SO incredibly thankful for each one of them. Today, I'll focus on my wonderful Maid of Honor, Naomi. Naomi and I started hanging out in high school, and we haven't stopped since. Unfortunately, life, different schools, and grand adventures have kept us apart in recent years. Luckily, Naomi is one of those friends that no matter how long it's been, you pick up the phone, or see them, and things are just as good as they were before :) She helped me through the most difficult time of my life (my teen years), and celebrated the good times with me too. Aside from being a fiercely loyal friend, Naomi is also incredibly brilliant.
Like, I flat out brag to other people about how smart she is...

Anyway, she was always there to help me academically when I needed it, and to teach me a new word or two. Despite her brilliance she is never condescending, and always makes me feel smarter. It was Naomi who introduced me to the College of Wooster, the place where I would eventually meet the man of my dreams. Without Naomi, my life would be dramatically different, and probably not even half as awesome :)

Senior/Junior Prom #bestdateever
2008
My Wedding
July 13th, 2013
Day 23: As you can guess, I'm moving on to another one of my Bridesmaids (in no particular order). Michelle Sheppard has been SUCH and inspiration to me. I look at her marriage, and I hope that Adam and I can be that in love 25 years from now. Michelle is one of those people that I can talk about literally ANYTHING with. It's imperative (I believe) for every woman to have older friends to look up to, who have been around the block before and can give you advice on everything from how to handle a fight with your spouse, to cooking easy meals, to managing finances. Michelle is an amazing friend, and I feel so blessed to know her :)

Day 24: I met Michelle Sheppard through Wooster United Methodist Church, where her son was in the youth group. She and her husband were VERY active volunteers, and brought so much wisdom and support to the kids. I got to interact with her through the youth group, and we quickly became friends. During my first summer on my own in Wooster, she would let me eat dinner at her place as often as I wanted. We went on different mission trips and outing with the youth, and had awesome conversations along the way. Being the only woman in the house, she seldom gets "girl time", and I was (and still am) always happy to go shopping, or just sit and talk for a couple of hours. In the months leading up to the wedding, Michelle shared so much wisdom on life, marriage, and what it means to share your life with another person. I hope that when Adam and I have been married for 25 years that we have as much love, grace, and Jesus in our marriage as Mark and Michelle. I love you beautiful, and thanks for being in my life!

She was totally rockin' the short hair and headband :)
Day 25: Moving along with the bridesmaid theme, I'm incredibly thankful for Amanda. I've known her since 6th grade when we were in the jazz band together. Despite being a grade apart, we stayed friends all through high school and while we were in college. Amanda is the type of person that is always willing to help, no matter how it might inconvenience her, no matter what else she has going on. If you need her, she offers help before you can even ask for it. We not only did band together, but I got through the many adventures of the dive team with her love, support, and snacks. We would often run from one activity to the next together, often stopping by her house in between events to recharge. Her family openly adopted me as one of their own, even though her father would always say,"You again! Laurie, I told you to stop feeding them or they keep coming back!" The adventures and laughs we've had together are endless, and I'm so excited to have many more in the future!

Friends since 2002... ish
Day 26: I believe that God puts certain people in our lives with every ounce of intention he posses- Éowyn is one of those people in my life. When we first met, we got along instantly. We had an inside joke going within about an hour of hanging out together, and kept finding things we had in common. We both had the same tool kit. "Is that sweet pea I smell?"Apparently, we even had the same perfume. A couple of days later, while relaxing after a long day of college orientation, she had mentioned that he father had passed a few years ago after a long, difficult battle with cancer. "You what else we have in common..." I mustered up the courage to say,"My dad passed too." From that moment we had an understanding that it was no mistake we were roommates. God had very intentionally placed us together to go through the struggle together, to have someone close by who even comes close to understand what that loss is like. Éowyn was not only a rock, she was the most stunning example of someone who lives out their faith that I had ever seen. She helped where no one else would. She was incredibly courteous to everyone. She explained why she was choosing to abstain from the temptations of a secular college, and I followed her example. In many ways, Éowyn steered me onto the path that I walk now, one that brings me closer to Christ all the time, and motivates me to be a better person. We've built so many memories and adventures since then it would be impossible to regale them all, but in summary, Éowyn is an incredible person, and I'm so very thankful for her :)

I was one of her bridesmaids on May 25th, July 13th was payback time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment